Sunday, November 16, 2014

Some Thoughts On The Prosperity Church Message and Joel Osteen

            OK - So I have watched about 10 different messages from Joel Osteen now and I have to say something because the doctrine is really bugging the crap out of me and you all know I have a big mouth about such things.
            As someone who has followed Jesus for a fairly good chunk of my life now, I have to say frankly the guy just doesn't pass the smell-test.
In over 20 sermons I listened to I heard him mention what God wants to do for me 100 times but not once did I hear Him mention that God might have something for me to do here besides sit back and rake in the blessings, nor have I heard any acknowledgement of the fact that walking with Him, by it's very nature, brings pain sometimes.
            I also heard him actually state that God didn't create any of us to be "average". This is a nice cheery thought on the surface (thanks Tony Robbins) but is obviously a mathematical impossibility and an intellectual insult to any thinking human being. Average is OK and meekness is even lauded by Jesus.
God is not a genie awaiting our next wish and life is not about us being happy by the same definition the world uses for happiness: healthy and wealthy. The Gospel is good news precisely because it allows us to find peace in the dark times, knowing that even if it takes until we get to heaven we will be free some day.
            Do you think if Paul or Peter or any of the other martyrs for Christ over the centuries (or even still today) heard this man's "gospel" as they were facing their own deaths for following Jesus they would think this message was good news? No - they would think they must be doing it wrong. Do you believe as they died they were thinking "You know, God - I really don't think this lines up with what you want for me. I'm not feeling the love"??
            If you are truly His then you already know life is not in any way about you reaching a place where you can live happy all the time - It's about serving and loving others where you are, about failing and falling and growing and getting up and running to Jesus just to hear Him say, "It's alright child. I love you." It's joy and victory within the pain and crappy circumstances because we know that our real victory occurred on the cross of Calvary 2000 years ago. A victory that sealed our place with Jesus in the end. The Gospel is WONDERFUL news, however it did NOT promise easy street to those of us who are "good enough" to reach some non-existent spiritual level. Anyone who thinks Jesus' primary concern is our happiness on this earth hasn't fallen in love with the same Jesus as me. I love Joel as a brother, but this guy is a false teacher tickling itching ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment