Sunday, November 2, 2014

That's Why We Work!

I took my ladies to Cooperstown yesterday to the Baseball Hall of Fame and it was just a really great family day. It was one of those days that was so good you feel sorry for the atheists because when they have a day like this there is no one to thank. We were on our way home and I was thinking about how much more I appreciate days like that as I  get a little older. We were listening to Tullian Tchividjian preach on honoring the Sabbath and how only Christians can take what was supposed to be a liberating thing (and an admission of our own weakness) and turn it in to another mechanism of control. Thinking of the Sabbath reminded me of a family vacation the whole Baker family took to Myrtle Beach in 2000 or 2001. I remember I was just bs-ing with my dad on one of the lovely golf courses we hit on that trip and he said something to me that I thought was very profound. I was saying how beautiful everything was and how I was enjoying the little mini-vacation. Dad, who is always full of pithy wisdom, gives me his little sideways look and says, “Ronnie – that’s why we work”.  

            I read last week that Americans are taking less vacation time now than they have in over 40 years. Most European nations are going the other way on this, and are frankly much less stressed about life in general, live longer and are happier. I’m not one to hold up Europe as the gold standard of excellence as I still think that’s us - but PEOPLE - we need to remember why we work. If our work defines us than we are sorely lacking as humans and really need to get a life. I understand there are jobs that require 24/7 immersion for periods but those jobs are pretty rare (think crab fisherman, actor/actress, football coach…) and their rest time can be adjusted accordingly. Most in those professions would admit their family lives suffer. In other words – work to live – don’t live to work.

            We work hard in this country and that is part of what makes it the amazing melting pot it is, made up of so many seeking a better life for themselves and their families. That is a good and noble thing but we must remember why we work and that life is much bigger than each of us individually. We must also remember that we have no right to grumble about things going to hell in a hand basket around us if we’re living life for only ourselves and our immediate families. Some of the nicest times I have with my wife and kids are playing at the nursing home and singing with them. It gives our ladies a wonderful perspective on life that you can’t get anywhere other than service and helps to keep us all grounded. I treasure those times as much as the Baseball Hall of Fame trip. Cooperstown was really great, but when we sing together not only do I get the blessing of time with my beautiful family - I get the blessing of blessing others WITH them, as well as imparting some valuable life lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment